Thursday 28 August 2014

Stein RC3001 - storage solution

Anyone who has read more than one of my posts will no doubt be aware of my slight obsession with climbing/rigging gear and there associated kit bags, as well as generally being OCD about organising my tools and equipment.

So when I recently got a new Stein rigging bollard I was faced with the challenge of somehow getting it to fit in one of the Petzl bucket bags I'm always waxing lyrical about.

I knew it would fit, but not lying down as it would be too wide, so it would have to be standing, but weighing in at 14kg that was going to be an awful lot of pressure in one spot. That coupled with the general awkwardness of getting anything else in the bag, as well as keeping the bag upright in transit led me to the following solution.


It all fits


Stein block, ratchet, strap, dead eye sling and rubber mountings... 


With everything else removed the stein block remains upright with the aid of a lump of Cedar


A 4" thick plank cut to roughly the dimensions of the bag, with a slit notched into it for the bottom anchor point of the bollard to slot into...


Which keeps the Stein block nicely upright and means the rest of the kit can be fitted in around it 


The rubber mounting blocks fit into the back of the bollard, as they make it too wide if fitted in their normal configuration 


Everything needed in one 25lt bag, it is pretty heavy, but manageable on your own 


No comments:

Post a Comment